The first Catholic priest to say Mass in Hartford, Kansas was a Jesuit missionary by the name of Fr. Ponziglione. He served out of the Osage Mission, which today is the town of St. Paul's, KS on the lower Neosho River in Neosho County. Beginning in the 1860's, if not earlier, Fr. Ponziglione would ride on horseback at least as far as Council Grove to minister to the Catholics along the way. He was in Hartford in the 1870's and early 1880's
The first full-time priest to serve Emporia and the surrounding towns was a French missionary priest named Fr. Perrier. He arrived in 1873 and he began to say Mass in the homes of Catholic families in Hartford, Neosho Rapids and on down the Neosho River valley to Neosho Falls. At that time there were about 30 Catholic families in the area. There are records of Fr. Perrier saying Mass in the homes of Mr. Francis Brogan, Mrs. Schwartz, Mr. Trainor and Mr. Andrew Mundy who lived in a nearby town called Attica. Attica was located up the railroad northwest of Hartford. Attica was later abandoned and most of its residences moved to Hartford. At Neosho Rapids Mass there are records of Mass being celebrated at the homes of Mr. Mulconnery, Mr. Kearn, and Mr. O'Toole.
However, the story of St. Mary's parish in Hartford really begins with an Irish immigrant named Francis Brogan. A devout Catholic, he moved to the area in 1875 from Iowa, and he immediately set about organizing a Catholic parish. Unfortunately, there were too few Catholics in the area. Undeterred, Brogan wrote a letter to the Boston Pilot newspaper, outlining the opportunities that awaited Catholics who came to Hartford. The letter got results, and over the next few years, more Catholic families moved into Hartford. Some of the families who moved to Hartford as a result of Mr. Brogan's effort include the Hughes, Hammonds, O'Connors, Durkins, Gilligans, Grogans, Kings, Deckers, Hurtigs, O'Donnells, O'Maras, Gormans, Carolans, Germans and Lawlers among others.
Francis Brogan, Maurice Mulconnery and Mr. O'Toole were appointed as the building committee and a church was soon erected on the site later occupied by the Thomas Lumber Co., now 201 Mechanic. The Church was a small structure that seated about 150 and was dedicated in 1877. It was the first church building in town. Fr. Perrier was the first resident priest after the Church was built. In the fall of 1885 the Church building was moved to the lot where it now stands. This building is now used as a parish hall for the social affairs of the congregation.
Before long, the church proved too small for the congregation and a new priest, Fr. Matthews, began to shape plans for the construction of a new and larger church. Donation of money and labor were accepted and a fair was planned. This event was a big success with more than $800 profit. This was a large sum of money in 1880 - enough to buy the brick that went into the building. The cornerstone for a larger church, still in use today, was laid on November 7th, 1890. The ceremony of the Corner Stone Laying took place with the Very Reverend Jerome Kilgenstein, the official head of the Franciscans in charge and Reverend Fr. Athanasius Lingermann O.F.M. delivering the sermon.
Then on July 26th, 1893, the parishioners gathered to witness the Solemn Dedication of our parish Church. The dedication services were rendered by Fr. Leonard Nurre, OFM as celebrant and he was assisted by Fr. Matthew Schmidt OFM as deacon and Fr. Laurence Long OFM as subdeacon. Again, Fr. Athanasius preached the sermon, in which he praised the extraordinary zeal and generosity of the whole parish and the community at large.
The structure of our parish church was principally fashioned by members of the congregation. The foundations of native limestone, capped with sandstone was quarried and dressed on the Decker farm and hauled to the building site. The inner woodwork, floors, wainscoting, and so forth, was also mostly done by volunteer labor.
In time, the beautiful altars, stations and stained glass windows were added. Our beautiful stained glass windows were donated by members whose names are inscribed upon them. Our two beautiful side altars and Stations of the Cross were the gift of Mrs. Mary Schwartz and Miss Anne Brogan, as well as different members of the parish. The interior decorations of the Church were painted by Theodore Hurtig.
Our cemetery, beautifully located on a hill southeast of town was given to the parish in the early 1880's by Francis Brogan.
Between 1903 and 1907, while Fr. Berthold was pastor, the last of the debt was lifted. In 1905 the bells were installed. The large bell is named "Santa Maria," the middle bell is named "Sanctus Joseph" and the small bell is named "Sanctus Franciscus." These were a gift from Joseph N. Brogan, son of Francis Brogan, our devoted church builder. The excavation of the basement and the interior decorating commenced during these years also. The confessional was constructed about 1948.
In the 1990's the rectory was redecorated, the bell tower was repaired and a handicapped ramp was added to the church. In 1999, under the direction of Fr. Tim Haberkorn, work began on a major restoration of the church. To begin with, a central air-conditioning system was installed and the entire interior repainted and highlighted with gold trim. The Sacred Heart of Jesus statue and the statue of St. Therese were both restored to their original beauty. The confessional was repaired and new drapes were made. The tabernacle was replated and polished as well as the crucifix on the high altar. A new freestanding altar and ambo were crafted of beautiful oak wood by Les Stein a parishioner. Both pieces have an inlay of grapes and grapevine built into them so as to match the design of the tabernacle. A new priest's chair and server chairs were also added. New doors were put on the entrance of the church and the stained glass from the old doors were inserted into them. These new doors which grace the entrance of our church were donated by Helen Gashce. All of this work was not completed until fall of 2001.
The Franciscan Fathers served as pastors of St. Mary for 113 years, from 1880 until 1993. Since 1993 our parish has been served by priests of the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas.
Today, St. Mary and its people enjoy an active parish life that includes long-held traditions like a parish rosary before weekend masses, the May Crowning of the Blessed Mother, Lenten Stations of the Cross, and various parish socials.
Follow